Thursday, January 26, 2017

Why am I here?

Introduction & History of Play

Why am I here? Well, not here, (that's a whole other discussion for later) here in the INTE5320 graduate class. I am in the course pursuing a graduate degree. The motivation behind the starting the degree is more convoluted, combining both academic, professional, and personal interests towards the future of learning/teaching. 

As to what I am curious to learn about in the course, I have many curiosities, including the OSG (Old School Gaming) and writing applications for hypothes.is, as well as trying to adapt gamification type interactions for my K-5 Art students.

I am a lifelong learner as well as a lifelong gamer. I love all aspects and types of games, from board games, to tabletop RPG's, to video games. Games, especially TTRPG's provide me with a creative outlet, an escape, social interaction, personality experimentation, and a means to come out of an introverted shell and be an extrovert every once in a while through the improv acting aspects of TTRPG's. I enjoy the anonymity of online gaming as well as the entertainment/immersive aspects, and more importantly the social interactions I can have with my family of gamers. Gaming will always have a special place in my life. It's how I met my husband, how I've written many unpublished novels on Nanowrimo, and how I was ultimately able to jump into a character not of my own making and co-write a published philosophical fiction novel. I want to take these gaming experiences, ones that have shaped my life, and use them to engage the increasingly detached set of learners I see every day. There must be a better way to teach and to learn. I'm convinced this is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?