Sunday, April 23, 2017

Affinity Space 2: Sometimes Virtual is better

After trying again to garner a meet up and braving meeting strangers and coordinating efforts in real life, as well as trying to get gamers to agree upon anything including food, I gave up on the face to face aspect and moved on to only the virtual world.

Four players plus myself have begun to weave a story, integrating their own research and history delvings with my own to create something living. Using Facebook, FB messenger, created websites, and Gmail has proven to be a good idea for getting characters and players separated and for trying to push something through in real-time.

Learning opportunities: I bit off more than I thought. I am used to creating stories on the fly, utilizing my abilities to weave new things together in the ether of speech, and counting on others to write things down they find necessary, useful, or interesting. Trying to push people and myself to write rather than speak has been very challenging. Speaking is so much quicker, visuals in real time so much more fluid. It has been difficult to maintain a cohesive story when everyone is not able to respond at the same time. We'll work on that.

Illness has taken a toll too, as has the invasion of RL into my academic and gaming pursuits. Balancing is the key this time around.

Once everyone got their FB and email accounts for their characters up and running, it was necessary to try to push the story along. Harder again since the people are not on at the same time. Some were more involved than others. Also, much turned out to be much more sporadic than I was hoping for in the beginning. Ah well, c'est la vie.

The big take away here is 1) time management and 2) keeping the players involved/interested.

I have learned that distance can really influence your ability to be in touch if people are not really dedicated to what they are taking part in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?